Friday, March 25, 2011

Conquest of Poland and My Way Towards Resistance

1939: It is the outbreak of war. I and my regiment decided to take part in the attack of Poland.
Troops on their way to Poland:
http://www.bwbs.de/UserFiles/Image/1936-1940/Polen_1939.jpg


I put my support in the occupation of Poland and its handling by the Nazi regime and the use of Poles and slave workers to achieve German prosperity as well as German colonization and the exploitation of Poland. A common belief throughout the German aristocracy was that the Eastern territories, which is populated predominantly by Poles and party absorbed by Prussia in partitions of Poland, but taken from the German Empire after World War 1, should be colonized as the Teutonic Knights had once done in the Middle Ages. I have stated, “It is essential that we begin systemic colonization in Poland. But I have no fear that this will not occur.” I held the usual aristocratic beliefs that was typical of late imperial times.
UPDATE:
1939: My uncle, Nikolaus Graf von Uxkull-Gyllenband, has once approached me to join the resistance movement against the Hitler regime. 
My Uncle:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3d/Nikolaus_von_Üxküll.jpg


At first, I took no thought of it but after the Polish campaign, I have been considering about the idea greatly. Peter Yorck von Wartenburg and Ulrich Shwerin von Schwanenfeld is urging me to become the adjutant of Walther von Brauchitsch, then Supreme Commander of the Army so I am able to participate in a coup against Hitler. I declined due to the reasoning that all German soldiers has pledged allegiance not to the institution of the presidency of the German Reich, but to the person of Adolf Hitler.

No comments:

Post a Comment